Physics 176 --- Thermal Physics -- Spring 1999
This is the web page for the Spring 1999 course.
The Spring 2000 course will be taught by a different professor and may be
- Kittel and Kroemer, "Thermal Physics" (Primary textbook, required)
- Reif, "Fundamentals of statistical physics" (On reserve in MP Library)
- Assorted seminal papers. (Some will be distributed in class.
Students will find others in the library.)
- Homework will be due at the beginning of class each Thursday.
- Most homework assignments will consist of 5 to 10 problems to be
written up individually. Communication between students about problems
is encouraged, but each student must write up the results separately.
- NB: Some homework assignments will not follow the traditional
physics problem-solving format. Short essays on various topics requiring
library research may be assigned.
- There will be two midterm exams. Each will be a
take home, closed book exam, with a page of formulae provided.
- The final exam will be held at the officially scheduled time and will consist
of a short closed book section followed by two problems for which
Kittel and Kroemer may be consulted.
- Homeworks -- 10 assignments worth 60 pts each.
- Midterms -- 2 exams worth 100 pts each.
- Final -- worth 200 pts.