Grades and Policies
(PHY 318) - Spring 2008
Homework Assignments (60%)
- 5–7 problem sets, roughly each 2 weeks.
- Most problems will be from Jackson.
- 30–40 problems in all.
- Late homework will be penalized at 5% per day unless a prior
extension is granted.
- Use of solutions manuals or old solutions
- Collaboration or study groups are OK, and probably good, but
- you should think about each problem before you
other people, and try to find the main idea if you can; and
- you must write out your own independent solution and
understand it yourself.
- sometimes, I may ask you to tell me why you did your solution.
- You must give general references if you have used some books, internet, etc.,
outside the course, but not for full or partial solutions from
these problems. Include the author, title, year and pages or from
Tests (20%) and Final Exam (20%)
- Test 1 (10%): TBA
- Test 2 (10%): TBA
- Final Exam (20%): TBA
- In the tests and the final exam, you can use your notes,
the Jackson book, a mathematical handbook (Schaum's or like that),
handouts, assignments & solutions for this course, but
not for other books nor other solutions.