Physics 55 Spring 2007
Introduction to Astronomy
Instructor: Prof. Kate Scholberg
Welcome to Physics 55! This is a one-semester introduction
to astronomy for non-science majors. We will explore the sky and
the universe, both in the classroom and outdoors.
- 4/5/07: Note on extra credit projects:
- You can earn up to an extra 5% of your grade via an extra credit project.
- The project is due by the last lecture.
- Specific projects must be arranged in advance.
Please send me an email about your project, even if you
have spoken to me in person about it, to confirm what you
are doing. This way I have
- There are some ideas given in the link above, but you are not
limited to these.
- 4/25/07: The final is on Thursday May 3, 7-10 pm in our
regular classroom. It will
cover all material and the style will be similar to that of the midterm.
- 4/25/07: My office hours this week will be
Friday April 27, 2-4 pm.
I will be away next week from Tuesday May 1 about
1 pm, until around noon on Thursday May 3. I will have
extra office hours on Tuesday May 1, 9:30-noon and
Wednesday May 3, 1 pm-5 pm (or starting as soon as I
get back from the airport).
can always make an appointment, too, if these times don't work for you.
Please do not hesitate to come by if you have questions about the
- 4/25/07: Most Earth-like planet so far discovered!
- 4/25/07: News links to go with lectures, compiled by David Benjamin as an extra credit project.
- General Course Information
- Staff Office Hours & Contact Info
- Syllabus, Schedule & Lecture Info
- Mastering Astronomy
- Observing Information
- Quizzes and Exams
- Blackboard (used for grades only)
- Old Announcements